The Classic 3 is a compact 15-piece crochet hook set. Perfect for one’s handbag, car, or yarn basket!
This is one of four crochet hook sets in the Classic series (The others are Classic 1, Classic 2, and Classic 4). The series is not well known in the USA, but is a long time favorite in Japan. Each set is durable, charming, and smartly designed because it’s made by the Tulip Needle Company.
Classic 3 contains:
- 10 Crochet Hooks labeled with the millimeter (mm) size and the Japanese size—see details below.
- Yarn Needles in 3 sizes
The soft vinyl case opens like a small book and snaps closed. Each crochet hook has its own pocket. These pockets fold down to reveal snug slots for the scissors, ruler, and needles, as shown here. Measures 2.5″ x 6″ and is .75″ thick when closed.
Crochet Hook Sizes in the Classic 3 in order of smallest to largest size:
6 steel crochet hooks (Note that associating US sizes for steel hooks with these is difficult because labeled sizes vary widely among brands.)
- .60 mm (Generally a size #13 or #14 steel hook, useful with perhaps a sewing thread, or some “cobweb” lace weight yarns.)
- .75 mm (Generally size #11 or #12 steel hook)
- .90 mm
- 1.00 mm (Generally a size #9 or #10 steel hook)
- 1.25 mm (Generally a size #8 steel hook)
- 1.50 mm (Generally a size #7 steel hook)
4 double pointed aluminum crochet hooks; each hook end is a different size for a total of eight sizes! in sizes up to D/US3 (3.25 mm). Some of the smaller sizes are standard in Japan but not in the US. They’re handy for filling the US size gaps.
- 1.80 mm (no US letter size; perhaps a good size for a thicker #10 crochet thread, a.k.a. “bedspread weight” and some perle cottons).
- 2.00 mm (no US letter size; perhaps a good size for some perle cottons and #5 crochet threads).
- 2.20 mm (Our standard B/US1 is 2.25 mm).
- 2.50 mm (Our standard C/US2 is 2.75 mm).
- 3.00 mm (Our standard D/US3 is 3.25 mm).
- 3.50 mm This is the same as size E/US4.
- 4.00 mm This is the same as size G/US6. (Occasionally an F/US5 is 4.00 mm; otherwise it’s 3.75 mm.)
- 5.00 mm This is the same as size H/US8.